Monday, July 24, 2006

Nijmegen - bummer....

As some of you have noticed, I've been training for the World's biggest march, the Dutch Nijmegen 4-day event. My team is a 33-member, Danish military one, and a couple of them were preparing to get their 30year medal down there - an incredible feat.

But after the first day, the whole thing was cancelled for the first time ever - well, it wasn't held at all from 1939 to 1945, but cancelled after it was started? Never.

The reason for cancelling was very valid: Three people dead (one of them military, which is unusual), 30 still in hospital and more than 300 had been in and out of hospital - after the first day. That number was bound to become higher in the following days due to the heat...

48,600 had pre-registered. 44,000 registered on Monday. 43,000 showed up Tuesday morning for the march. 42,000 (which is the answer, of course) completed the first day of either 30, 40 or 50 km.

Here's my story as I told it to the OakTable guys when I returned home on Wednesday night...

I have prepared rather well for this thing, although nothing can truly prepare you for 4 x 40 km with 10kg on your back, I guess. I've done a couple of 2 x 40 with 10 kg without too much of a problem, but this first day was the hardest one I've ever done.

That heat thing really does it, and even one of the team's very experienced guys (9th time doing the Nijmegen, former Triathlon lunatic) got into trouble because
he had forgotten to eat (not drink) enough, and had to have emergency sugar and be "helped" home by walking alongside some strong-willed guys who talked to him and got his mind off the hopeless situation.

The team I walked with is apparently considered one of the best Danish military team you can walk with at Nijmegen. There's an active Special Forces guy (he carries the flag), a couple of ex-Special Forces types, several people who have walked the Nijmegen between 20 and 30 times, etc., etc.

The team was a total of 33 or so, and 9 of us were "pinkies", ie. we hadn't walked the Nijmegen before. The eight other pinkies are all active-duty sergents or officers in the Danish Army currently.

At some point during the walk I began to doubt whether I could do it. I said so to the nearest guys. One of them was the flag guy. He just looked at me and said "I have NEVER walked with a team that lost a man", and that was the end of that...

Another example: We had two support guys on bikes, who make sure we get water and food at the resting areas, etc. One of them is a 73 year old ex-Special Forces guy, who got his legs pretty much mashed in an accident where a tree trunc went through the bottom of the car and into his legs, suddenly started yelling at me out there, forcing me to drink more water. He kept nagging me for about an hour, until he was satisfied.

All through the day, the guys kept shouting "Skål!" to each other in order to ensure enough water got drunk. I must have consumed 6-8 liters that day, and still there was plenty of room for beer at the end of it all :-).

All in all, not the worst guys to be with when you do this kind of thing.

A total of 5000 soldiers from about 10 nations were in the military camp (sealed off).

The biggest foreign contigent is the British one, and it's truly impressive to see them.

The second biggest foreign contigent is the Danish one, and it looks rather more relaxed and cozy than the British one, I'm sure you can imagine. Yet they can bloody well WALK, those folks, and I think standing on the parade ground with those 500 other Danish folks singing our national anthem was fantastic. Hair-raising,
to be honest. Actually, I might have had a few tears.

Then there's the biggest thing of it all: The local Dutch citizens. It's nearly impossible to do them justice, but I'll try:

We started out at 0445 hours from the camp, and from then until we were home around 1400 or so, we had Dutch people sitting and standing all along the route pretty much.

I'm talking 10's of thousands of people that were cheering the 43,000 walkers on, all the small towns had arranged for bands to be playing for us, 100's of houses had put out loudspeakers where they played rock or pop music for us, children everywhere handing out sweets, fruit, vegetable, water bottles and even little coupons that read "Dear participant - I hope you have a succesful walk... I would be really happy if you could perhaps send me a postcard to the following address...", people standing with garden hoses or just water guns and spraying water on people if they wanted it, and... it's just STUNNING!

And we're talking a Dutch holiday week where they stay at home to celebrate the walkers.

The other team members told me it just gets more intense with this whole local backup thing as the days progress, culminating in the fourth day where most of them admit they're shedding tears because they're so moved by the local's enthusiasm. Fantastic.

All military teams end their march in the huge beer tent, and are applauded in there by the ones who have already arrived. When a Danish team arrives, everyone starts singing "Oh when the Danes go marching in" - and then we have a few beers to freshen up, of course.

Yes, I'll have to do it again next year. I know. And I have a cunning plan for doing proper preparation:

I will have a HUGE Miracle sauna constructed with a built-in 40-meter long walking/running belt where the whole group can march in very high temperatures for 8 hours or more. The support guys on bicycles can just sit on stationary exercise bikes alongside the walking belt. Oh yes.

Anjo Kolk called me from Tokyo the other day and informed me that Wednesday (which should have been the second day of the marches) was the hottest day ever in Holland, I think.

It was the right thing to do to stop the marches, but I hope it's happening again next year.

This year was the 90th time, and only during WWII did they not walk, as I mentioned above.

25 Comments:

Blogger Doug Burns said...

That sounds like a totally amazing event, but definitely not worth dying for!

I may try marching to the pub for the rest of this year and see if I feel ready for it next year.

Glad you made it back to the pub safely ;-)

Cheers

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Carlos said...

Sounds good!

Congratulations for not giving up!

BTW: Have you ever tried a marathon?

Cheers.

Carlos

4:21 AM  
Blogger Alex Gorbachev said...

Wow! Impressive!
Just like Doug mentioned I wouldn't be able to march further than Molly Malones or the biergarden nearby.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Moans Nogood said...

Doug, I'll be there - right beside you - in spirit (!) when you attempt your march to and fro the pub. Seems so much more sane than the Nijmegen thing, doesn't it.

Carlos - no, I've never tried a marathon, and I admire people intensely who have. I hate running, I'm not good at it, and I never was. Have you tried one, then?

Alex - One day I'll see you for a beer at one of your places :-).

2:14 PM  
Blogger jimk said...

I'm impressed, very impressed. I do the Portland to Coast walk which is a large relay race.(128 miles, 24 legs each leg about 5 miles, 12 walkers per team , so each person does 2 legs) Lots of comradare but NOT anywhere as grueling as what you are talking about!

I hope next year isn't as hot; I don't want people sucimbing to heat stroke et al!

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Carlos said...

'Moans':

Yes, I've run a pocketful of them.

I think I am (like many others marathonians) some kind of 'pain-junky'.

One thing that you may find interesting is that (at least here in Spain) when you reach the finish you can get beer for free (and as much as you can drink). Beer companies usually sponsor the events.

Cheers.

Carlos.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Thomas Presslie said...

That is a real bummer that it was cancelled. How were your boots? Any blisters? I'm also curious to know if your famous sleeping bag was warm enough for you ;-)

I'm planning on putting together a Scottish team for next year. Having only done it twice before, I really need my medal upgraded with a "3". I think we'll do the 50km a day march without bicycles :) . I remember smiling at those tired looking teams with a support team of cyclists, overtaking them with bagpipes blasting out the marching tunes. Yes, we'll be there, bagpipes an' all!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I think they were smart to cancel... as Dan is fond of saying "summitting (or in this case walking) is optional, returning alive is mandatory". I am honored to know you -- I would not have been able to do that, a 10K walk exhausts me!

Oh, and do you know where the term "pinkies" comes from? (yes, that's a leading question, as I DO know the answer and it has to do with something that is part of my new career choice)

7:22 PM  
Blogger Noons said...

amazing that it got to the hottest day on record. weather is indeed changing... not just in Europe either!

Anyways: can't even imagine what this sort of thing would be like. I do around 10ks per week on my mountain bike and it's about as much as my tired old legs can cope with! Good on you for doing this.

I like the cunning plan of the walk-in training sauna! sounds eminently civilized, particularly if you can leave the beer outside on the snow. :-)

8:17 AM  
Blogger Moans Nogood said...

Carlos:

Well, free beer has me convinced. Tell me where I can find a list of good marches there :). And my deepest respect to you for your running achievements. I could never, ever do anything like that.

Thomas:

You're SO fired :-). I happen to know that you walked the Nijmegen WHILE PLAYING YOUR BAGPIPE when you were 15 and 16 years old. Wauw. I'll look forward to next years march... and no, my arctic sleeping bag wasn't required.

In fact, only around 3 AM did it become mildly chilly, but then we were already up and about :).

The boots worked rather well. Absolutely no problems with the heels, which tended to be the big troublespots with the old, dreadful Danish military boots (the M58's).

Rachel: You're an angel. But no, I don't know why they call us 'pinkies' - please tell me! Please!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

oh Moans, since you beg so prettily..

You may recall I am studying to become a veterinary technician (think nurse, but for animals).

One of our classes is about laboratory research animals.

Pinkies are newborn rats and/or mice -- they are born hairless, helpless and blind. And their skin is a deep pink.

So calling you all "pinkies" was telling you you were newbies :)

8:01 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Like me!!

Does that mean I am the ultimate Pinkie??

1:47 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

you don't qualify as a newbie anymore girl!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Moans Nogood said...

Rachel, I've told you before, and I'll tell you again: Why the Hell are you wasting your time on animals when you could still be doing good stuff among men?

You're fired.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ah Moans, but the animals APPRECIATE the good stuff I do for them. Unlike most of the men I've met :)

Truly, I'm happier than I've been in years. And even though I am flattered that you have fired me, well, I'm still sticking with this. I miss the people from my past life, but not the work

And I am still waiting for pictures of Viktor!

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope to see you at the Nijmegen 4 days marches this year... with bagpipes.

Look for Batavorum.

1:20 AM  
Blogger pandorasell said...

Clip flees and this Chrismas costs buy pandora jewelery coming near. Surprise! Most belated cheap pandora jewelery at Discount Price I plan to explore the net because an allow Christmas gift discount pandora jewelery .In the online search appendage, I unexpectedly read a rattling occupying pandora bracelets and unbelievable story, and I hence besides chose pandora silver bracelets blimey Christmas Day empowers.A-list gross revenue from colligates from london sweetheart cheap pandora bracelets Decades ago in London, a small restaurant enjoyed good business concern and attacted a lot returned discount pandora bracelets buyers.called for to express thanks to these pandora bracelets sale ,

8:36 AM  
Blogger 2011bagnews said...

It could offer you with ray ban wayfarer 2113 Outlet superior eyesight safety towards sunshine and ultraviolet radiation.Yahoo or yahoo and kfjgcxy0fsd google are the most ray ban wayfarer 2151 effective spot to come across ray ban Sunglass Outlet as this opens want you ray ban 3016 to assortment wholesalers providing very best sunglasses with good quality service. ray ban Radar Path Sunglasses There is absolutely nothing just like a real ray ban 3029 smile that very best complements ray ban Gascan S Sunglasses the elegance of your ray ban ray ban 3132 . enable me response the later on issue first. you perhaps can acquire these ray ban Jawbone Replacement Lenses from tens of tons of suppliers each on-line and offline. ray ban 3186 But just before buying, confirm whether or not its real ray ban M Frame Sunglasses good quality or not, mainly because the marketplace is ray ban 3212 flooded with imitations.ray ban sunglasses also can come in aviator style. ray ban 3269 This model is within in between the rimless and oversized options. Discount ray ban 3322 Thus, in scenario you would like to jazz up your boring and mundane lifestyle then just acquire ray ban Dispatch and obtain the rocking new look.Their contacts are produced of particular materials which makes certain total
ray ban 3359 basic safety and looks.

12:16 AM  
Blogger 2011bagnews said...

One of the more miu miu matelasse bag affordable and versatile pieces from the miu miu borse collection of Miu miu luxury handbags for fall 2008 is the Monogram kfjgcxy0fsd canvas Boubourg, miu miu swallow shoes which is a classically designed tote bag with shiny brass hardware and the brown and tan classic signature print. Bear in mind that miu miu glitter shoes is the one you will probably have to hold for the entire night. miu miu satin platform pumps Therefore, it is more than important to ensure that Miu miu handbags are not only beautiful to look at, but also comfortable to hold.Another thing that you will need to consider when choosing miu miu purse sale an Miu miu handbags is the size. Do not choose an Miu miu handbag that is incredibly large, instead pick the one that is large enough to accommodate a number of essential items you want to carry with you.
Features of the luxury handbag from Miu miu include textile shoulder straps, miu miu jeweled ballet flats textile bands with leather piping down the sides, a front flat pocket, golden round studs, textile lining.

12:19 AM  
Blogger luck said...

The Nike Air Max shoe is a good Nike shoe,if you are interested,please contact us.Authentic quality and original package Nike Air Max Online.The design of Nike Air Griffey Max 1 colourway is very fashion.The Nike Air Max 1 is considered as one important part of Nike Air Max. This really is certainly the seek style provides you with additional effect factors on the court. In addition, this rubberized outsole with exclusive tread design so as to enhance the traction force.Be very careful to observe these particular shoes and select the footwear you enjoy very best and buy them at the first time.The Nike Shoes Us shoes are more popular year by year than preceding year.The most important thing that we provide is the preferential price and quality guarantee of Nike Air Max.Nike Air Max 2009 create a visual landmark as well as its color and greatly improve the air cushion cushioning and stability.Because of his lightweight design,unique streamline design, slightly retro look, make her to be popular by young people.Christian Louboutin Outlet

7:30 PM  
Blogger baele said...

So how is the Nike mercurial soccer cleats changed? the original Nike Speed boot!New products Nike Football Boots for us.

7:58 AM  
Blogger carrera sunglasses said...

To stay a leap ahead in pbngtwq this competitive Oakley Frogskins market, these stores offer discounts on their merchandise, making high quality Oakley Frogskin affordable. Wearing Cheap Oakley Sunglasses can not only let us have a clear sight but also serve as fashion accessory. And different kinds of Oakley Jawbone are available in different functions. At the beginning of this New Year, you can consider to have a new image with a pair of cheap Oakley Jawbones. To have a pair of beautiful eyes is a dream for everyone, however, once getting shortsighted, one has to wear Oakley sunglasses, which would cover the beauty of eyes.

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miracle's fight for intellectual property rights in China. Here's a conversation I've been having over the last several weeks. Hope you enjoy it. cambridge satchel | cambridge satchel us | cambridge satchel | cambridge satchel company | Cheap Soccer Jersey | hermes birkin

6:55 PM  
Blogger GuildWars2Items said...

It's great to be great, but it's greater to be human Sell Runescape Gold, if I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put buy guild wars 2 gold Y and I together guild wars 2 gold buy, A lifetime of happiness! No man alive could bear it; it would be hell on earth .

You have a forever friend for life, and forever has no end D3 Gold Sale, and if you find such a friend, you feel happy and complete, because you need not worry Diablo iii Gold, your forever friend holds your hand and tells you that everything is going to be okay Buy Diablo iii Gold.

1:25 AM  
Anonymous China tours said...

Such a nice post, We loved it a great deal!I am a china tour lover,You can learn more: China tour operator | China tour packages | China city travel

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home