Thursday, December 27, 2007

Mobile phones, fats and backups

As with such things, life has been rather dull since the fire - relatively speaking. Fortunately, I had a wonderful thing happening to my mobile phone that brightened several of my days before Christmas.

It all started about half a year ago, when the menu button on my Nokia E60 stopped working. That's rather inconvenient, but I could still call people up and receive calls, so no big problem.

Then, one Saturday in December, the old team from the National Nurses' Dormitory in Copenhagen had our annual, traditional, Danish Christmas lunch in a place called Told & Snaps in Copenhagen. When the frist dish was brought in - pickled herrings, of course - my dear friend Ole and I decided to see if soft butter on the keys could bring the menu button back to life. So we, uhm, buttered the keyboard - and it worked! The menu button worked again!

Flushed with succes we decided to try and repair the problems I had with the microphone and loudspeaker in the E60. So we used fat (from a duck, I think) on the, eh, bottom of the phone. Didn't seem to have the desired effect. In fact, in the days that followed I had to shout louder and louder in order for people to hear me. It was getting silly - I had to be in the privacy of my car in order not to disturb the general population with my shouting.

But I could still send and receive SMS messages, so things were OK.

Then my wife Anette and I had dinner at restaurant Avanti and that's when Anette hit the oil lamp on the table so that the E60 became soaked in oil. The display looked like a lava lamp and the keys became very loooong and soooft to use.

During the night, while I was asleep, the E60 sadly expired.

That's when I discovered that my 800 contacts were residing inside the E60, not on the mini-SD-card. So I got a new phone from a friendly phone broker (an N-73, which seems to be a fine phone, by the way) but every call I received were wonderfully new and exciting since I didn't recognice any of the numbers.

Of course I didn't have any backup. I'm a man.

Then a miracle happened. Anette and some good Miracle folks managed to wake up the phone for a short while and unload my contacts. That was a good day.

So people have told me: This will teach you to remember to take a backup!

But look at it this way: I started carrying a mobile phone 25/8/370 back in 1991 and this was the first time I was in danger of losing everything. And I have never taken a backup.

Chances are it won't happen again anytime soon either, unless somebody steals it.

So I think I'll continue with my usual mobile phone backup strategy :-))).

Merry Christmas.

Mogens

9 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

So, should we now cancel the MDHPB (Miracle Downtime High Performance Bootcamp), scheduled for June??? Nobody thinks it's credible to get recovery training from 'your' company, from now on........

4:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe Carel-Jan would be gracious enough to hack a dataguard environment to protect your contacts on a server far away from EU.

:)

5:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i could host i on my laptop.;-)

6:30 AM  
Blogger Moans Nogood said...

You're all too kind. The MDHPB will be SO much more fun with all the recovery scenarios and absolutely no backup. Except, perhaps, a partly export on a laptop in Texas :).

Happy New Year.

Mogens

8:24 AM  
Blogger weddingdresses said...

I just have this energy level that I've never had before. The only thing that's changed is I've started wearing my Power Balance and nike running shoes
Power Balance wholesale

11:28 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, prada handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, cheap uggs, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, uggs outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, longchamp handbags, gucci outlet, air max, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, jordan shoes, nike free, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, christian louboutin, tiffany and co, louboutin, tiffany and co, rolex watches, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp handbags, ugg boots clearance, michael kors outlet online sale, uggs, ugg outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin shoes, replica watches, louis vuitton handbags

5:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

converse, pandora charms, toms shoes, barbour, moncler outlet, sac louis vuitton, swarovski, links of london, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler, canada goose, moncler, canada goose jackets, pandora charms, converse shoes, rolex watches, vans, supra shoes, moncler, ugg boots, abercrombie, ugg, marc jacobs, ugg pas cher, ugg, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, sac lancel, air max, louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton, coach outlet store online, juicy couture, hollister, ugg, canada goose, canada goose, moncler, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, moncler, ray ban, louis vuitton uk, montre homme, moncler, gucci, canada goose outlet, pandora jewelry, canada goose, canada goose uk

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Manfaat Buah Pisang Untuk Wajah said...

Thank you for sharing an interesting and very useful article. And let me share an article about health here I believe this is useful. Thank you :)

Obat Berengan/Sariawan/Luka di Sudut Bibir
Obat Bruntusan Herbal
Masker Wajah untuk Kulit Berminyak dan Berjerawat
Solusi Sehat Alami

5:48 PM  
Blogger jsminemie said...

https://devpost.com/shabiakash0
https://worldcosplay.net/member/766620
https://soundcloud.com/shabi-akash
https://www.boredpanda.com/author/shabiakash/

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home