Sunday, April 16, 2006

MCs, SOUG, ODTUG, DBF, UKOUG or PASS and more...

(Parts of this post might sound like a commercial for Miracle, so have a beer before and after reading).

I can really feel how well the World economy is going these day. A certain indicator is the number of Oracle-related events being offered, including the shape/profile of Oracle's offerings (Oracle World, Oracle Open World, or whatever they call it this week).

This year, there are many good technical (and not so technical) events available, and Oracle techies seem to be allowed to attend more than usual.

So to give you an idea, here's what I'll be doing (until further notice):

1. Attend Jonathan Lewis' Master Class here in Denmark 2-4 May (the last day being my birthday, so I'll treat Jonathan to one beer).

2. Present at the Scottish User Group (SOUG?) in Edinburgh 9 May (DBA Performance Day). Yes, of course I'll be wearing my kilt and all.

3. Attend a very unusual three days of training here in Denmark 14 to 16 June: Carel-Jan (Data Guard and Standby), Tuomas Pystynen (RMAN) and Kurt van Meerbeeck (DUDE - a tool to get data directly out of datafiles) - will do a total of three days where each day will be a) something picture perfect gone wrong b) how to solve it with RMAN and c) how to solve it when RMAN doesn't work. It's a new idea, brewed up by Henrik Rasmussen of Miracle, and I think it could become very interesting.

4. Attend ODTUG in Washington 17 to 21 June. ODTUG (Oracle Development Tools User Group) wants to have some database stuff added to their magazine and conference, so I've started up a regular OakTable column in the magazine and will present at the conference. Of course when I finally visit Washington, Tom Kyte is out of town, so I'll have to find the good places for dry martinis myself. Tom, you're fired.

5. Nijmegen March 28 to 21 July. Arrrggghhh.

6. Oracle Ekspert conference in Denmark on 30 August. OE is a Danish-language Oracle-related magazine run my Marc de Oliviera, and the annual conference is a) all the usual suspects meeting each other and b) pretty good.

7. Scottish User Group conference in Glasgow 12 September. Not sure about the topics yet, but, yes, I'll be in kilt, and there will be whiskies.

8. Miracle Database Forum 28 to 30 September. Yes, yes, yes, I know we did the last Database Forum (DBF) in 2004, but people kept asking, so this is the absolutely, very last (honestly!) DBF we'll do. We'll have three or four tracks, each with a track leader, who will make sure the quality of the presentations is good, that there's a natural flow in the track, and all that. Performance: Graham Wood. Availability: James Morle. Worst Practices: BIG surprise. Big.

9. JAOO conference in Århus, Jutland - right after our DBF, some Oakies and others will venture to Århus in Jutland to participate in this 1200-people J2EE event taking place 1 to 6 October. There will be a special database-track on 2 October.

10. Slovenian User Group meeting 8 to 10 October. I'll do a keynote and perhaps some more, and just imagine: Close to 1000 people show up each year at this event. Joze is the man.

11. 27 October: Miracle 6 year birthday party.... If you're around, this will be fun. If you're not around, it will still be fun.

12: Dilemma: 13 to 17 November: I will either have to participate in the annual UKOUG conference in Birmingham (which is very good) OR go to Seattle to do the PASS (Professinal Association of SQL Server) annual conference. Very hard choice.

So there. As you can tell, I clearly need a private jet plane.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mogens,

"Present at the Scottish User Group (SOUG?)"

I think "OUG Scotland" is the correct terminology. Peter Robson harps on about this all the time. He should work in corporate branding ;-)

Despite all of my jokes, I look forward to seeing that kilt around these parts soon. You do wear it very well for an outsider. It's people like you that confirm I've made the correct decision never to wear one. (I think that's my usual round about way of saying I fancy you ;-) )

Some of those events look really interesting - I'll need to start booking some time off.

"As you can tell, I clearly need a private jet plane."

You don't have one? Forget all that stuff I was saying about your kilt being very nice ...

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Boss,

I have found one for you (plane that is), and it is very cheap:

http://www.controller.com/listings/forsale/detail.asp?ohid=1103153&guid=BF367D37C34849CEBD9D51583C5C5853

only 7.950.000$

11:37 AM  
Blogger Moans Nogood said...

Doug - you're the man. We shall have ONE beer in Edinburgh, then, and perhaps a small dram.

Morten - that plane looks just about right. Man, to powernap on them couches...

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's so wrong about Nijmeggen?

Dude, with a schedule like that you need a "beam me up Scottie" machine. Not a private jet!

(Doug: glad you look forward to see the kilt around the parts... (EG))

word verification: glufl
a new kind of blurfl?

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good luck with the 4 Day Marches. I did the Nijmegen Marches in 1991 and 1992, it was a lot of fun. I was at School and part of the Cadet force affiliated with the Queens Own Highlanders (Sadly no more. You may have read recently in the Economist about the amalgamation of all Army Regiments in Scotland into one Regiment). I was 15 and 16 at the time, so we weren't obliged to carry the 10KG weights, but still did the same Military route. I did, however, play my bagpipes as much as I could throughout the marches and carry them. I don't know if anyone has tried to play the pipes, but I'm under the impression that carrying and playing bagpipes whilst marching is just as (if not more!) exhausting than carrying the 10KG. I used the same pair of standard Scottish Military issue boots which I bought for £20 and still use them today for walking in the hills. They don't make things like they used to. I might add that I didn't get any blisters until the third day. I think wearing socks inside-out so the smooth side is touching your feet helps, along with the way you lace your boots. It was a lot of fun and I've been trying to convince my wife that I should take part in the 4 Day Marches next year. We did our training in the Highlands which I think made a difference. In the Highlands of Scotland there is no flat land and some of the hills exceed 1000m so a good place to train. It meant that when we marched on the flat beautiful surroundings of Nijmegen it wasn't such hard work as walking on hills and prepared us well. It was great to meet so many different people from different Military Regiments from around the world and entertain them with the pipes and share a few beers, sleep for a few hours and march all day in the hot sun.

Look forward to the DBA performance event at the Caves in Edinburgh on 9th May.

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should be home during your visit to Washington...

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I notice no visits (not even a transition at the airports) to NYC. I am heartbroken, especially as I am unable to attend ANY of the events you will be at and therefore once again will miss an opportunity to view the kilt.... sigh

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that SOUG has an excellent ring to it -- it would be pronounced "soak" of course, thus conveying exactly the right impression (I imagine).

8:02 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, prada handbags, air max, burberry outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, cheap uggs, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, uggs outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada outlet, longchamp handbags, gucci outlet, air max, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, jordan shoes, nike free, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, christian louboutin, tiffany and co, louboutin, tiffany and co, rolex watches, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp handbags, ugg boots clearance, michael kors outlet online sale, uggs, ugg outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin shoes, replica watches, louis vuitton handbags

4:36 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

vanessa bruno, air max, michael kors uk, coach outlet, michael kors, sac guess, true religion outlet, nike free pas cher, nike free, kate spade handbags, timberland, lululemon outlet online, michael kors outlet, north face, abercrombie and fitch, coach purses, ralph lauren, polo lacoste, oakley pas cher, north face, new balance pas cher, sac hermes, coach outlet store online, converse pas cher, longchamp, nike tn, air max pas cher, hollister, sac burberry, air max, michael kors pas cher, nike air force, hogan outlet, ray ban pas cher, louboutin, polo ralph lauren, true religion jeans, mulberry, sac longchamp pas cher, replica handbags, true religion outlet, nike blazer, vans pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, nike roshe, true religion jeans, nike roshe run pas cher, hollister, nike air max, air jordan

4:39 PM  
Blogger spinonholiday said...

Thanks for all your information, Website is very nice and informative content.
Most people ask about where to find Delhi Tourist Places. It is not a big task, as they can simply have word with the consultants who guide their customer about the tourist place. Taking information about different places helps people to make their time enjoyable and memorable. In addition to these, they can also find places for delicious cuisines that will make their day.

2:29 AM  
Blogger bellacallen said...

Valuable Information. Keep sharing again such type information.
What should be the immediate step How To Change Yahoo Password is the most important aspect. If you are a Yahoo email user and want to have the solution factors, then do not worry anymore, you can simply talk to the Yahoo support team to ask the relevant strategies and resolve the issues. Different kinds of systems are there that have to be followed while changing the passwords effectively.

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home